Need help on the difference between production support and development.

You can ask to get referred in this Forum.
Forum rules
1. Please be a thorough professional while you ask to be referred in some company - it's the first gateway for you to impress someone for your professional capabilities.
2. Please do not pester - it's a volunteer effort.
Aarohi Saxena
Registered Member

Need help on the difference between production support and development.

Post by Aarohi Saxena »

Hi,

What is the difference between a Mainframe production support and a mainframe development project, I mean which is better for a career choice? And gives challenging work for better future.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Need help on the difference between production support and development.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

This is a subjective question - something which is a challenge for me might not be challenge for you. Said that, I found that there is more interest towards development projects compared to Production Support work. Production Support would mostly involve working in shift and of course working on production issues. Production issues are of different severity and if you are involved with a high severity issue, solving it might consume a lot of time but might provide you a better visibility (subjective again) in your organisation. In this line of career, you can grow as operations manager at least. What other positions you can get to depends on your organisation and your own decisions.

In development, on the other hand, you can be part of the long development projects, small enhancements and/or critical enhancements. All have their respective place and visibility across organisation. In this career path, you can grow as Application Development Manager, Process manger (this path is slightly different and can be available for someone from Operations too) or Technical Architect etc..

From the compensation' point of view, I believe the salary you fetch for different roles are comparable.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.