Tuning technique for .NetCOBOL.

OS/VS COBOL, COBOL II, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS. OpenCOBOL and OOCobol.
Sai Patel

Tuning technique for .NetCOBOL.

Post by Sai Patel »

We have an application running on .Net COBOL. Due to long running batch jobs - no application can run during the batch window. And thus the performance of the long running jobs affects the business. Can some please share some tuning techniques for .NetCOBOL applications and if possible can some please drect me to some case studies on similar lines.
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tuning technique for .NetCOBOL.

Post by William Collins »

Identify the programs which are long-running. Look at the code. Fix the code.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

You have posted your request on a mainframe forum. Is your .NetCOBOL program running on a z/OS or z/VM or z/LINUX LPAR?

In general, COBOL tuning involves looking at where the code is taking the most time and identifying how to reduce the time used there. Programs are either CPU-bound or I/O-bound (that is, the code mostly waits for CPU time to continue or waits for I/O to complete to continue). With an I/O-bound program, you have to look at how to reduce I/O (such as building tables in memory instead of reading from a file). With a CPU-bound program, you have to look at how to reduce the program code being executed (which may require changing the algorithm, changing variable definitions, or making other efficiency changes). Whether the program is CPU-bound or I/O-bound, using a code profiler can assist in determining where the bottlenecks are in the code.

A Google search of .net cobol tuning returned 382,000 hits. Have you done your basic research by using Google and reading some of these pages?
Sai Patel

Post by Sai Patel »

It's on z/Linux.

Can we use same profiler tool as we use for Enterprise COBOL todetermine the bottlenecks.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I don't know your site so I cannot say. Contact your site support group and find out which tool(s) are available on z/Linux for COBOL performance analysis.
Sai Patel

Post by Sai Patel »

Thanks.